Tuesday 9 August 2011

Mental Health






I would like to blog about a new subject, which has become a new element in my life.
I've always known about depression however meeting with a close friend suffering from mental illness triggered a sadness in my heart. As I realised there was not much  of a support network in helping with this illness, especially as the person in need is in deep denial.  I have always wanted to open a type of orphanage  for young malnutrition  kids, however I feel this is more closer to home.

Statistics
1 in 4 people will experience some kind of mental illness.
Mixed anxiety and depression is the most common disorder in Britain
Higher difficulty in diagnosing black and south asians women with mental illness, often over diagonised or under diagnosed.
Black women seek mental health less than white women.

Bipolar Disorder (manic depression)
Serious shifts in moods
Last for days,weeks, months
Episode can be so intense it affects the ability to function
Occurs in early adulthood

Split personality Disorder
Amnesia
Distorted Perception
Anxiety, depression & detachment

Psychosis
Loss in contact with reality
Frightening, confusing and distressing
occurs during late teens or early twenties


The best way forward is to campaign, research and provide support.

No comments:

Post a Comment